Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head


Wish I'd thought up a title as whimsical as this one, but it's actually a lovely children's book that my friend and I discovered in one of our favourite neighbourhood restaurants. Who wouldn't be charmed by the notion of a vegetarian dragon?

Bill Peet's animals are endearingly expressive, and judging from Droofus, his stories are charming. I was surprised to discover that Peet also illustrated many Disney films, such as 101 Dalmatians, because his books are miles better, and not in the least twee.

I can't wait to read about "Chester the Worldly Pig",
ROUGH DRAFT OF CHESTER
or the whimsical Whingdingdilly,




and Scamp, a dog inspired by Peet's own dog.

SCAMP ON PORCH

Here are sketches for a story about an abandoned ostrich chick.
Every chick radiates personality.

ZACK SKETCH




It's a good thing Peet is prolific.
http://www.billpeet.net/PAGES/billpeet%27sbooks.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment